Thursday, March 11, 2010

Bracelet project using Claudine Hellmuth's Sticky Back Canvas

Hi!
Again I'm days behind posting...I meant to post this a few days ago, and as usual, life got in the way...I went to Heritage Makers Canadian Regional meeting in Calgary, Alberta last weekend...we had so much fun, and learned about great new books and products that are being made available by Heritage Makers for digital scrap-bookers to help us preserve our memories and tell our families stories, that I had trouble 'coming down to earth' and concentrating on paper work, etc...so it took longer than usual to get done with orders, etc, so I could get this online. It didn't help matters that the weather here in Medicine Hat was warm and sunny!....
But here I am, and I'm pleased to be able to offer you this Bracelet project from Diana Ramsey.

For those of us who like bling in the form of jewelry..and love to have 'one of a kind' pieces...but don't especially like to pay the high cost of unique, one of a kind pieces, I've got a great project to offer you today.

Diana Ramsey, the creator of the lovely handbag that was shown in the last post has created two lovely bracelets...Both are very unique. I don't know about you, but I LOVE wearing jewelry that I've made. Not only is it one of a kind and no one else has the same piece, but, I have to admit, it's such a great feeling when I get compliments and I can say that "I made it".
Diana again has offered to share her lovely bracelets and to give us the instructions, so we can create our own unique bracelets using Claudine Hellmuth's Sticky Back Canvas

Here are Diana's instructions.

Green Bracelet
"I used purchased wood bangle bracelets for the base of both bracelets. The larger green bracelet is painted with Landscape Green Studio Paint both on the inside and outside. I had previously done the 'cardstock transfer technique' (see instructions below) with decorative cardstock and the Sticky Back Canvas, so the canvas was ready to be glued onto the bracelet. Although the canvas is sticky, I added a little more glue as this is an item that will be worn.
I used an oriental character stamp and Jet Black Staz-On Ink to make an image on top of the canvas as well as using the stamp on the rim. Before I sealed the bracelet I used Ranger Gold Metallic Acrylic Paint Dabber, here and there to give it a little zip. I painted the whole bracelet with Folk Art Satin Finish to seal. I applied several coats of the Satin finish, waiting until each coat was dry before applying another coat. You can use which ever brand of satin finish you prefer to seal it.

The Purple Bracelet was painted with Lumiere Halo Violet Gold paint inside and out. I put the purple piece of metal through my Cuttlebug machine using a Swirl Embossing folder, then glued the piece onto the bracelet. After it was dry, I used a left-over scrap of Sticky backed Canvas that I had done the transfer technique on, and glued it around the middle of the bracelet. I then coated the piece all over with Satin finish.

Cardstock Transfer Technique using Sticky Back Canvas
"I saw a video by Claudine Hellmuth showing how to do this technique. It's very easy, but best done with a small piece of canvas and paper, rather than using the 12 x 12 piece" (Claudine Hellmuth's Sticky Back Canvas also comes in 8 1/2" x 11" size).
Instructions
"Take a piece of double-sided cardstock with a pattern you really like; Take a piece of SBC a little larger than the piece of cardstock. (I have used single sided cardstock, and it worked OK, but the original instructions specified double-sided cardstock so that is what I used in these instructions. Peel off the release paper from the canvas and lay it down, STICKY SIDE UP.
Take your Cardstock and place it 'favorite' side DOWN on the canvas. Burnish it with a spoon, to make sure the cardstock is adhered firmly, all over.
Spritz or mist the back of the cardstock with water (forget about the pattern on THAT side), and gently begin rubbing the paper off the back, with your finger(s). The paper will come off quite well.
You may have to let it dry (use a heat tool) and re-spritz the paper and continue rubbing until all the paper is removed.
Most of the paper will come off, and you will be left with your favorite side of the paper, which is now part of the Sticky Back Canvas. The canvas will be soft and supple and you can even sew with it! It will have a slightly faded look to it.
It is a good idea to cover the piece with a matte gel medium, applied with your finger if the piece is going to be handled, (this also helps get any stray bits of paper off).
Small pieces are great for ATC's too! You can also use this technique using a photograph printed from your computer, as well. I used 'Kodak Photo Paper Instant Dry' and found this worked well- you get sort of an antiquey look.... You use the same method, wetting the back of the photo, after it has been placed face down on the Sticky side of the SBC and burnished with a spoon. Just spritz with water and rub the paper. It takes longer because it's pretty tough paper".
I'd like to thank Diana again for taking time out of her day to write out the instructions for her projects and sharing them with us. Thanks Diana!

If you have any comments, or questions about today's post, please leave them below.
I've included links to the products in my online catalog, as was requested a while ago by blog readers, if you have any questions, you may email me (email address at side bar) or leave a comment.

No comments: